December 08, 2020
Matt’s Borrowed Chilli Jam Recipe
A few years ago, one of our gorgeous team members Natasha missed our Christmas Party, and so she came to visit with her family over holiday period so we could celebrate the year together. Natasha arrived with a festive cheese platter, including a bright red jar of her husband’s Chilli Jam. I was addicted immediately, and eventually managed to get my hands on the recipe. Since that Christmas, Matt’s Chilli Jam is always in our fridge. It’s so easy to make, that you can do it while cooking dinner, and it transforms cheese platters, meals and my Sunday Eggs into a feast! With permission, I’ve listed the recipe below.
Matt’s Chilli Jam
- 5 large Red Capsicums (Seeded and Chopped ready for blending)
- A handful of Chilli’s (Homegrown if possible) Matt recommends 3 Bird eye Chilli’s and 1 Habanero.
- 8 Garlic Cloves (Peeled) Aussie Grown if Possible
- 12cm Ginger Root (Peeled and Chopped ready for Blending)
- 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
- 2 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 1 1/3 Cups Organic White Vinegar
- 2 Bay Leaves
Four Easy Steps.
- Placed the Capsicum, Chilli’s, Ginger and Garlic in a food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- In a large saucepan, combined this mixture with the Sugar, Salt, Vinegar and bar leaf. Bring to the boil.
- Simmer for approx. 40-50 minutes, stirring regularly and removing any surface scum. To check if it’s ready, you can lift the mixture with the back curve of a spoon to see if it has thickened.
- Remove the Bay Leaf. Pour into sterilised jars and seal immediately.
Once cool, I then store these jars in the fridge waiting for visitors! We would love to hear your favourite recipes or any tips you have for catering for unexpected guests over Christmas without risking an increase in food waste if people don’t drop in.